Lazy Strolls in Zurich

Switzerland is a land of well, many things. I’m a lucky girl and have had the chance to visit several times and explore different areas of the country. Last month, I got to go to Zurich again, but this time in autumn. This was Simon’s first time in Switzerland, and I hadn’t been back for a few years, so I couldn’t wait for our long weekend there.

We flew from London City Airport, which made me forget how awful airports are. Seriously, if you have the chance, definitely fly from there. It will change your life.

fullsizeoutput_d07

The last time I visited was over five years ago, and I’d forgotten how pretty it was.  We spent our time walking around in the sun and exploring the city.

fullsizeoutput_cfd

fullsizeoutput_cf2

When you walk from Banhofplatz down Banhofquai, through the little streets you’ll reach Lindenhof – a cute little square on a hill. The view over the Limmat and the Old Town is so worth it, and it’s free – you do need this in the city of very expensive everything.

fullsizeoutput_cf5

fullsizeoutput_cf6

Walk to St. Peter, the church which has the largest tower clock face in Europe Pretty cool, huh? Cross Münsterbrücke, the bridge that connects the two banks of the Limmat. When crossing it, you’d reach Grossmünster, one of the city’s main churches, which is unmistakable with its two grand towers.

fullsizeoutput_cfa

fullsizeoutput_cfffullsizeoutput_d01

Once on the other side, trust me you’d want to head to Movenpick to get the best ice cream in town. Eat it by the lake, while trying to not get eaten by hungry swans.

fullsizeoutput_cf8

Simon and I accidentally stumbled upon the oldest café in Zurich, while searching for somewhere to get a coffee. The thing is, we only realised where we’d been when we told my stepsister about our walk. Find the chocolate fairy tale that is Café Schober in the old town!

fullsizeoutput_cfe

If you feel like going shopping, or just want to people watch, head to Banhofstrasse, the main shopping street, which starts off innocently with high street stores, but the closer you get to the lake, the fancier they get, and you might find yourself daydreaming about a Cartier jewel or a Saint Laurent bag, or maybe a Swiss watch. Or is it just me who does that?

fullsizeoutput_d03

I feel like we spent our trip eating a lot of cheese, white bread and some more cheese, but how can you not, when in Switzerland?! You must have a fondue dinner when visiting, because well… you’re in Switzerland! And so we did, and let me tell you, my family knows how to make a good fondue. Thanks, guys ♡

fullsizeoutput_cfc

I didn’t go to Zurich expecting to have a taste of the nightlife, but I did, and you know what, it was fun! My stepsister and her friends took us to Hive, one of the oldest clubs in the city. We had a great night, surrounded by llama piñatas, unicorn cats and rainbows, dancing to good music.

Our last day was Sunday, and we didn’t want to miss out on our coffee and cake ritual, so we went to the famous historic Café Odeon at Bellevue. It opened its doors over a century ago and it’s a popular spot for the residents of Zurich, so have in mind it gets quite busy. On a sunny day sit outside, so you can people watch.

fullsizeoutput_d00

We also went on a day trip to the Swiss Alps, but I’ll tell you about it another time.

Kristina ❤

Share:

35 Comments

1. November 26, 2017 / 4:59 pm

These photos are fab! It looks like you had an amazing trip!

November 26, 2017 / 5:32 pm

Thank you! It was such a lovely weekend, and we got super lucky with the weather! โ™ก

2. Amalia
    November 28, 2017 / 5:19 pm

I have never visit Zurich but would love to, it looks such an easy city to visit for a weekend break for example! Loves your photos and you really inspired me to visit this beautiful city.

November 28, 2017 / 7:07 pm

Thank you! Zurich is beautiful in any season (I haven’t actually been there in winter but the Christmas lights look fab) Definitely go if you can ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

3. November 28, 2017 / 11:17 pm

This sounds like such a fun trip! And unicorn cats? Just my sort of thing!! The chocolate cake looks pretty amazing too!

November 30, 2017 / 10:13 am

Oh, that cake was SO GOOD, I’m still thinking about it haha

4. November 29, 2017 / 12:03 am

I feel like you need to take me to the The Hive next time because I love the sound of the llama piรฑatas, unicorn cats and rainbows, that sounds like my kind of hangout! I am so glad that you had a good time!

November 30, 2017 / 10:14 am

Thanks, it really was fun! And the llama piรฑatas definitely made my night 100 times more fun!

5. November 29, 2017 / 7:11 am

I’ve never been to Zurich but I’ve heard lovely things about it. It’s great that you had the opportunity to visit again!

November 30, 2017 / 10:15 am

Aw, definitely try and visit, it’s so beautiful! And in summer you can also sunbathe on the beaches or swim in the lake!

6. Anna
    November 29, 2017 / 1:58 pm

I miss Zurich.. I was there in national day 2 years ago and still do remember those swans! Can’t want to be back soon ๐Ÿ™‚

November 30, 2017 / 10:16 am

I’ve heard it’s so much fun on their national day and they have lake parties! I’d love to go then ๐Ÿ™‚

7. November 29, 2017 / 2:16 pm

Zurich looks lovely, especially with the autumnal vibe. Lovely photos thank you for sharing!

November 30, 2017 / 10:16 am

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ It is so worth going there!

8. November 29, 2017 / 5:49 pm

Switzerland is in my bucket list for a long time now. Good to read a thing or two about it before I finally book my tickets! Whether I shop or not, I will make sure to take a stroll around Banhofstrasse! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks for sharing.
    Do drop by my blog as well : http://styleovercoffee.com ๐Ÿ™‚

November 30, 2017 / 10:17 am

Aw, let me know if you’re going, there’s some lovely places to visit apart from Zurich, I can send you some ideas ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

9. November 30, 2017 / 11:06 am

Looks like you guys had amazing time together. Zurich is such a lovely place to visit, have heard so much about it. All photo clicks are fabulous! Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

November 30, 2017 / 11:09 am

Aw, thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Dalene Ekirapa
    November 30, 2017 / 11:40 am

You really were lucky spending time at Zurich; for any visit, I cherish nightlives and I’m glad you enjoyed it too.

December 1, 2017 / 3:04 pm

11. November 30, 2017 / 4:08 pm

Looks like you had a lovely time there! I love your photos and wish I was there with you guys (at least to taste all the yummy food you had xD )

December 1, 2017 / 3:04 pm

hehe thank you, Mei ๐Ÿ™‚ It was all SO YUM ๐Ÿ™‚ x

12. November 30, 2017 / 8:28 pm

Never been to Zurich and even if I heard of it.. I’ve also never seen such great pictures of it. Looks like a great place for a small weekend getaway! Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

December 1, 2017 / 3:04 pm

Thank you, Vlad, you should visit the city, it’s fun ๐Ÿ™‚

13. November 30, 2017 / 10:47 pm

There’s seems so much more about your trip. You look so happy, pictures you’ve posted are amazing and I can totally feel the thrill on your post. We’ve been planning to witness and explore the place. Hopefully one time will share it too.

December 1, 2017 / 3:06 pm

Oh, thanks so much! It was a really great trip, as I also got to hang out with my family ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you get to go soon and I can’t wait to hear what you think about the city ๐Ÿ™‚

14. December 1, 2017 / 4:08 am

My brother and sister-in-law have been to Switzerland a couple of times and always rave about how beautiful it is. They especially mentioned cheese fondues, Rรถsti, and of course chocolate. I’ll have to ask them if they went to St. Peter to see the largest clock face in Europe. x

December 1, 2017 / 3:07 pm

OH MY GOD I LOVE ROSTI! And I don’t even want to talk about chocolate, I have tons of it now after this trip and I’m trying to stay away from it (and failing) haha x

15. December 1, 2017 / 1:55 pm

One word . Beautiful place , I never been to Switzerland but love to come the one say if I can afford it .

December 1, 2017 / 3:07 pm

It really is beautiful, but yes quite expensive. I’m lucky I have my family there ๐Ÿ™‚

16. December 1, 2017 / 7:44 pm

Lazy strolls are the best. Sometimes when I am travelling I feel I don`t time to enjoy all the moments as I want to visit so many attractions. Looks like you had a fabulous time.

December 1, 2017 / 7:57 pm

Honestly, I don’t even like tourist attractions, there’s just so many people and queues and all that fuss… I usually go to just the ones I definitely have to see and then just skip the rest hah

17. December 3, 2017 / 4:25 pm

I have been to Zurich twice and we enjoyed it a lot, the flight from here is so short. I also prefer London City Airport. Gatwick is ok, but Heathrow has always been a horror for me. Sheri

December 7, 2017 / 12:28 am